This is the Student Web Server for the College of Charleston. Any currently enrolled student may host their web site on this server. All content is bound by the terms of the Honor Code.
Student Web Pages
Using this ServerThe server uses your COUGARS username. This is the same username and password used for email and many other College of Charleston services. SFTP is the protocol used when connecting to the College of Charleston Student Web Server. You're welcome to use any SFTP program, but we reccomend FileZilla
FileZillaFileZilla is a free, Open Source, program which supports SFTP. It runs on Windows PCs, Apple Computers running OSX, and many other platforms.
- Many computers have fileZilla already installed. If you're on campus, you can probably skip down to the "Connect" step.
- FileZilla is available for free from http://filezilla-project.org. 4
- Go there and click "Download FileZilla Client", select and download the reccomended package for your platform (windows, osx, linux, ...)
- Run the installer, any default settings are probably fine.
Connect to the server
- Open FileZilla
- This will vary from platform to platform.
- Fill in the fields:
- Host: sftp://students.cofc.edu
- Username: your Cougars username
- Password: your Cougars password
- Click Quickconnect to connect to the Student Web Page Server
- The FileZilla window is split into two columns. The left column shows files on your computer, while the right column shows files on the server.
- To upload a file:
- First, navigate to that file in the "Local site" tree.
- Next, make sure that you've selected the proper folder in "Remote site" (/home/COUGARS/username/www/)
- Then, just drag and drop the file's you'd like onto the server.